California Race Discrimination Attorneys
Racial Discrimination in the Workplace Is Against the Law. Know Your Rights.
Racial discrimination is just one of many types of unjust or prejudicial treatments employees face on the job and that we fight in court. For more about our Employment Law legal services, please see our “California Employment Law Attorney” page. Or for other types of employee work-related issues we fight for our clients, see the links to the right.
Race discrimination is treating individuals differently in their employment because of their race. Racial harassment is subjecting individuals to an offensive work environment based on their race. If you have been rejected for employment, fired, or otherwise harmed in your employment because of your race, you may have suffered race discrimination. If you have been ridiculed, mistreated, or subjected to offensive comments or actions because of your race, then you may have suffered racial harassment.
Examples of Racial Discrimination in the Workplace
It is impossible to list every form of discriminatory or harassing conduct that occurs at work, but here are some examples:
- Hiring: You apply for a job for which you are qualified but you are not hired because some of the company’s long-time clients are not comfortable dealing with African Americans.
- Firing: You are told that you are being laid off because of company cutbacks and reorganization, while white employees with the same job and with less seniority than you keep their jobs.
- Promotion: You have worked for your company for several years, receiving exemplary reviews and an employee-of-the-year award, yet each of the five times you have applied for promotions, the positions you applied for are instead filled by less qualified people of a different race.
- Pay: You worked your way up from the position of executive assistant to project manager. A white project manager with similar training and work experience was recently hired, and you find out that he will be paid more than you. You are a top salesperson for your company, but are moved to a less desirable territory because it is a minority neighborhood, while another white employee with much lower sales is given your territory and client base, enabling him to make much more in commissions than you will make for several years.
- Job Classification: You work at a company that has an eight-tier job classification system; your responsibilities have increased over time, but your job classification and pay has remained stagnant; white colleagues have their job classification and pay adjusted to reflect their increased responsibilities.
- Harassment: One of your coworkers thinks it’s “funny” to use the “n word” in conversation and to tell jokes insulting blacks, Latinos, Asians, and other minorities; these comments make you very uncomfortable, and you’ve asked him to stop, but he tells you that you need to get a sense of humor. The boss tells you to ignore him, but doesn’t talk to or discipline your coworker for his harassing behavior.
If something similar has happened to you at work, your employment rights may have been violated and you may have been subjected to race discrimination and/or harassment. Some workers who are experiencing race discrimination may also experience other forms of illegal discrimination as well, such as age, sex, or disability discrimination. If you are a victim of race discrimination or harassment, the law is on your side. You can take legal action against your employer to right this wrong.
Venardi Zurada LLP is a firm serving the California. We are experienced and effective attorneys who work on a contingency basis meaning that you do not pay us until we recover money for you. We offer free consultations to evaluate whether or not you have a legal claim for racial discrimination or harassment.
GET A FREE CASE REVIEW
If you are an employee who feels their rights have been violated, or you need help negotiating or reviewing your employee contract, please call to speak to one of our expert employment law attorneys at (925) 937-3900 or submit the form to the right.
When litigation or mediation is involved, and we are able to take your case, there is never any fee or expense to you of any kind until you get paid! That means we pay all litigation costs which you will not be required to pay back, and we only get paid if you get paid.
We have four offices to serve you in Oakland, Orinda, Redding and Chico, and serve clients throughout the entire California including the entire Silicon Valley and throughout California.
VENARDI ZURADA LLP
1650 Oregon Street, Suite 201
Redding, CA 96001
PH: (530) 830-FIRE
116 W 2nd Street, Suite 6
Chico, CA 95928
PH: (530) 830-3473